Saturday, August 18, 2007

TV Review special: Good and Bad TV

Hello again.
Today I decided to review a few television shows, and give my thoughts on the state of television.

First.....
High School Musical 2
rating- 3 out of 5 stars

Overall, this was exactly as I expected...a typical Disney style movie with lots of Disney music, Disney dancing, and Disney messages. (How much more Disney than 'be true to yourself' can you get?). The funny thing is, that is what is so great about Disney's latest and greatest. The music this time around is not as good as it was in the first High School Musical, but the dancing was better. The tunes make sense both lyrically and musically, and even for those people that don't like the High School Musical movie and its over-excessive marketing, the music is really catchy.

Where this movie suffers is in the acting and story. It basically feels strung together as a quick money maker based on a mega-hit. Oh, wait....that is exactly what it is.

Another great thing about High School Musical 2 is the fact that Zac Efron sang his own vocals this time around....rather than a voice over.
My verdict...give the soundtrack a listen, but don' worry so much about watching this extremely cliche movie.
Flash Gordon (Sci-fi channel original series)
rating 4 out of 5 stars
I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot episode of Flash Gordon. This is the latest incarnation on television about the comic book character. Eric Johnson (Smallville) plays the title character, and does a wonderful job. The story revolves around Flash's search for his father, which is only hindered by alien beings searching for something of his father's called "the Imex". Along the way, Flash is helped by his friend Dale Arden (Gina Holden) as he struggles against the evil Ming -who was behind his father's dissapearance.
So far, this tv series appears to show much promise. The violence is not bloody, there is very little language, and for the most part the acting is good. I personally can't wait for more of Flash Gordon.

One more thing I thought I would mention.....I hate the fact that Lost season 4 has been delayed yet AGAIN! It is now set to come back in February. I don't know why it will not return this fall, but after a strong first three seasons, I dont want to argue with producer J.J. Abrams, who is now hard at work on an untitled film set to come out on 1-18-08. In fact, visit 1-18-09.com and see what you think.......

1 comment:

Chris Pence said...

Hey! Getting back to you about my opinion of KOTOR. I haven't picked any of them up; I plan on getting the second trade paperback soon. I heard somthing about an army of brainwashed space slugs?

It's good to see you blogging and reviewing again, Fiddler!